What is APEN Professional Membership?
On 1 July 2021 APEN will introduce a Professional Membership (APEN-PM) in addition to the existing membership categories of: Ordinary, Student, Retiree, Overseas Affiliates, Corporate and Life membership.
APEN Professional Membership will bestow several additional benefits including:
- Recognition of your high level of skills, knowledge and experience in extension gained through professional experience and/or formal qualifications
- Recognition of your high level of commitment to ongoing professional development
- Recognition of your understanding of industry ethics and accountability
- The use of post nominal APEN-PM and
- Exposure through a listing of skills in the APEN register which employers/funders can access (on the APEN website)
To join as an APEN Professional Member you will need to submit an application documenting:
- Commitment to ongoing professional development; and
- Commitment to upholding APEN’s Statement of Values and Code of Ethics.
Applications for Professional Membership of APEN are required to be endorsed by one APEN member and one professional referee who can verify the applicant’s qualifications. In the first year of 2021/22 the annual fee for Professional Membership of APEN will be AU$150 (excl GST).
Three requirements for APEN-PM membership
- APEN Professional members (APEN-PM) are required to hold:
- Either tertiary qualifications in Agricultural/Horticultural Science, Natural Resource Management, Extension Science, Health Science or a relevant field; or
- Recognised prior learning demonstrated through at least five years’ extension or relevant science experience either continuous or part-time equivalent.
(This evidence will need to be only document upon initial application.)
- APEN Professional members (APEN-PM) are required to maintain on-going Professional Development (PD), Table of PD activities. APEN members can ‘earn’ Professional Development points (PD points) by taking part in professional development activities. APEN-PM members must be able to demonstrate a least 60 PD points accumulated in a calendar year (1 July – 30 June). Points in excess of this can be carried forward to the next calendar year (up to a maximum of 20 excess PD points). A PD points calculator is available on the APEN Website. This is a self-assessment process and relies on members’ integrity.
- APEN-PM members are expected to affirm and apply APEN’s Statement of Values and Code of Ethics through committing to and applying APEN’s Statement of Values and Code of Ethics upon application and when renewing their membership.
Applications for Professional Membership must also be accompanied by a list of eligible Professional Development activities (PD) undertaken in the 12 months prior to application.
You can apply online.
- Work out your PD points by using the spreadsheet available from the image and link on the right above.
- Read the APEN Statement of Values and Code of Ethics
- Fill out the APEN Professional Member Application form
You will receive a confirmation email from the website followed by contact from the APEN Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the images above or the following links to go to
APEN Statement of Values and Code of Ethics.
- Read the information on the webpage
- Work out your Professional Development points for the previous 12 months and if PD points are 60 or above, send to email@example.com
- Read the APEN's Statement of Values and Code of Ethics
- Fill out the APEN-MP application form
- Confirm that you:
- achieved 60 PD points for the previous 12 months
- abide by APEN’s Statement of Values and Code of Ethics
- expect an invoice from APEN for APEN-PM
- Contact your referee(s) about your application
- Pass your application on to the Membership Committee on about the 5th of the month with a response back to the APEN Secretariat by about the 10th of the month
- Send an invoice to the applicant for payment
- Send the wording that can be used with your signature
- Include details of your Name, Job title, organisation, highest qualification, field of study and email address on the APEN-PM Register on the APEN website
For further information, please contact the APEN Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org