To support our members and interested extensionists, APEN hosted a series of interactive sessions via ExtensionChat- APEN Online in September 2020. Leading Australian and New Zealand extensionists created a dynamic online experience of learning, knowledge sharing and networking for extensionists with different skills and experiences within the sector.
“While COVID-19 has taken away our ability to meet in-person through the APEN Road Show this year, APEN is facilitating connectedness and support within our networks. In times of change and uncertainty, there is a need to keep our extension skills and knowledge updated”, said Graham Harris, APEN President. “As it is difficult to access the latest face-to-face training, APEN is delivering four interactive sessions over four weeks via Zoom video conferencing. We encourage APEN members and interested extensionists to take this opportunity to connect and network.”
Members and other extensionists were asked about their Professional Development needs and the topic areas being presented were drawn from their responses.
The interactive Zoom sessions were held, weekly from Tuesday September 1, 2020.
A set of the four presentation recordings may be purchased through the APEN Shop here
ExtensionChat - APEN Online
To learn the tools and techniques to empower the sharing of your expertise, APEN has engaged the services of four presenters who bring a wealth of skills, knowledge, innovative ideas and diverse experience over many years for the inaugural ExtensionChat program. Each brings different perspectives to the ExtensionChat program over the four weeks.
Chat #1 September 1
Dr John James - What's new in Extension (and how to use it to further improve the effectiveness of your work)
In this interactive session, John will explore
- The modern evolution of extension (past -> future)
- What are we doing differently?
- How to design effective extension projects
- Peer-to peer learning
- The impact of COVID-19 changing the way we approach our work and the importance of language
- Add to the two-way conversation by sharing your ideas during this interactive session
Chat #2 September 8
Dr Jeff Coutts - Evaluating extension – ‘why you should fund my (next) project’
In this interactive session, Jeff will explore several questions
- ‘Why should an investor (whether government, Rural Development Corporation or other body) invest in Extension?’
- ‘How do we demonstrate if the investment was a good decision?’
- ‘How can you show that your project – or your role – has been one of the best investments such organisations could make?’
The workshop will also explore
- Different (practical) ways in which extension is evaluated
- What new elements have been added over recent years, such as approaches to ‘co-evaluation’ (better involving the range of stakeholders in an agricultural innovation system)
- What we have learned about evaluating from a ‘distance’ (in the time of social distancing restrictions)
Chat #3 September 15
Denise Bewsell - Supporting change – the holy grail of extension
In this interactive session, Denise will explore
- Extension as a tool for facilitating on-farm change
- Building support for extension programs, principles and sharing experiences
- How do you use this tool effectively? The key? – Support for adoption/practice!
- Follow up extension activities and information resources – e.g. mentoring, webinars, one-to-one consulting, accountability through a group of farming peers and coaching …
Chat #4 September 22
Jeanette Long - Facilitating tips and tools
In this interactive session, Jeanette will explore
- Facilitating learning
- Facilitation processes to ensure a successful outcome
- Facilitation vs facilitating learning
- Planning outcomes
- Closing with impact
APEN’s ExtensionChat is a platform for professional development, networking and representation of members across Australia, New Zealand, South-East Asia and the Pacific. The ExtensionChat program provides the opportunity to connect with like-minded extension professionals and influencers in the world of extension. Grow your extension network and broaden your skills and knowledge by sharing best practice amongst your peers.
Attend one, two, three or all four sessions. Unable to attend? Register to receive a recording after the sessions.
- Members and students $AU11 (including GST) per session or all four sessions for $AU33 (including GST)
- Non-members $AU33 (including GST) per session or all four sessions for $AU99 (including GST)
Want to join before you register? Click the button below.
Contact and further information:
APEN Ltd – email@example.com Dr Heather Collins – firstname.lastname@example.org Nicole Sallur – email@example.com